Tuesday, December 8, 2009

So, "Defending the Family", eh?

Yeah, it's kind of an aggressive title, don't you think? Defense: (noun) an act against an attack. Thems some pretty tough words. Professional sports teams have coaches who deal exclusively with defense, Hogwarts has a class specifically for learning how to defend one's wizard self against the dark arts, chess strategies built around defensive playing, and don't even bring up a homeboy's mama unless you want to see some serious defense--makes sense, because of all the things worth getting defensive about, wouldn't family be at the top of that list?
Winston Churchill said, "There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human society, are created, strengthened and maintained." The greatest and most dominating virtues, that's something worth protecting.
Sure, family can be messy, clingy and annoying--like bad wallpaper, but my family is who I can count on for anything. My family is who I know will love me...always. No matter what choices I make, I know my mom and dad will support me with the good choices and be there to help me through the bad. I know that my brother has always got my back, on and off the rugby field.I know that if something is important to me--say, a significant other--my stubborn sister loves me enough to put her feelings aside and be kind to whomever I bring home. I can be my goofy, silly self that I rarely let anyone else see. So, I will defend my family because I know they will defend me.
You think rugby is tough? You haven't seen me defend my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment